Thursday 2 December 2010

Lab Update #3: Snow.

Lab update #3 - Fun with Snow

With all my scheduled meetings for the day cancelled, I decided to make the best of this impromptu day-off and use the weather in some drinks.
First I tried a Snow Julep using Jim Beam Green Label Bourbon, it's looks good and I thought it was a nice idea but it was very difficult to drink without a straw.

The next idea (below right) was inspired by Clayton (and I have to admit I feel the same) love of the G Vine ice balls, rather than one big ice ball to add to your whisky why not use a compacted snowball. Once I had packed it together I put it
in the freezer for a minute to let it harden up.
this seems to cool the drink moderately, but not as much as the Gvine cubes.
Below left: you can see a Gin & Tonic, "Evans" style served with another chunk snowball ice.


Some readers may think, using snow ice is all well and good but I would like to be warmed up.
Well I shall introduce you to my simple hot toddy recipe:

2pts Whisky
1pt Sugar Syrup
1pt Lemon Juice
4pts Boiling Water

I have scaled this up using 500ml whisky, 125ml sugar syrup, 125ml honey, 250ml lemon juice. I added the whisky sugar syrup and lemon juice to a saucepan and gently heated it, I then added the honey,a pinch of nutmeg, and stirred. After heating for a few minutes I removed the pan from the heat. After cooling I strained it and bottled it.
Voila! You have a premix hot toddy, just add hot water (1pt toddy mix : 2parts boiling water.)

3 comments:

  1. Restricted Drinker2 December 2010 at 12:08

    Sounds delicious, however today isnot a drinking day (Yet).
    The Hot toddy mixture sounds perfect for tomorrow however, as all of my plans have also been cancelled :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all about not diluting the spirit and snow melts way too fast. Don't underestimate the benefit of the pure, clear ice ball.

    You can order them already made and shipped frozen so you don't need to do any lab experiments to get the full ice ball experience.

    IceCaters or iceandeasy have them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah those ice balls do look pretty neat. I've seen baseball and football patterned ice balls but has any one ever done one to look like a globe? I'd love to see that.

    The snow is not too bad if you pack it really hard and then leave it to ice up in the freezer.
    That said the spirit usually isn't in the glass long enough for the ice to melt it!

    ReplyDelete